Years ago, before liposuction for love handles was available, if you developed these unwelcome bulges, you were often stuck with them for life.
The flanks, another term for love handles, are a common area where both men and women, in Bergen County and across the country, commonly accumulate fat.
Unfortunately, no amount of working out or dieting is effective to get rid of them.
You may be able to lose weight and inches, firming up your body, but every area gets smaller–and the love handles are still there.
Spot reducing is impossible when the body is left to its own devices. Liposuction for love handles has changed all of that.
The Love Handles and Liposuction: Just Made for Each Other
The love handles are a very popular region for liposuction because they can be especially difficult to ignore. The area below your ribs down to the hips is key to the overall figure of a man or woman.
Whether people in Northern NJ prefer to be “straight up and down” or to have a curvy figure—the love handles can get in the way. This unwelcome bulge near the waist is hard to hide.
The type of clothing you may prefer often doesn’t fit well. Wearing a belt, a fitted suit, swimwear, slim jeans or a pencil skirt may be uncomfortable or constricting.
What Causes Love Handles?
Fat is stored in the area of the flanks, (or love handles) due to one or more typical reasons, including: aging, pregnancy, other hormonal changes or genetic predisposition.
Since we cannot (or wouldn’t want to), change any of those things, liposuction provides an elegant solution to banish love handles. As a bonus, after liposuction for love handles, that annoying area of fat probably will never come back after liposuction.
Lipo removes fat cells for good—so you can “break up” with your love handles permanently. If you gain significant weight, however, remaining fat cells there and in other parts of the body will enlarge. Liposuction for love handles isn’t a solution for weight loss or obesity, so Bergen County residents should consider lipo only for isolated, bulging areas of the body.
Is Liposuction for the Love Handles Safe?
Liposuction has an excellent safety profile and most patients emerge happy with their results. Here are some tips to make sure you are in that group:
- Be sure to choose a board certified plastic surgeon with surgical privileges at a well-known local hospital here in Northern NJ. Your love handle surgery is likely to be done in a surgery center, but hospital privileges provide another layer of verification of surgical skill and experience.
- Make sure the Bergen County surgical center or facility is accredited.
- Choose a surgeon who completes hundreds of the liposuction procedures annually. That’s because technique is important for safety, for an attractive result and to make sure you heal as quickly as possible after your procedure.
- Interview your prospective surgeon and see if you feel comfortable with him or her. Choose a surgeon who takes an interest in your health and your goals for the love handle procedure. Choose someone who’s able to and takes the time to clearly explain the liposuction procedure for your love handles.
- Carefully follow all of your surgeon’s instructions before and after your liposuction. Wear the compression garment for as long as recommended. Move around to encourage circulation, but don’t work out until the surgeon gives you the ok. Do not smoke as it impedes healing.
- Watch for signs of infection, which is uncommon, but includes fever. Antibiotic medication and drainage can combat this problem. Always call the office of your plastic surgeon about any symptoms that seem out of the ordinary. Other surgical risks, which will be discussed in detail before surgery, include rare blood clots. Loss of sensation in the love handle area is fairly common and may last up to a year after surgery.
- Call your surgeon anytime, even if you just had a follow-up office visit yesterday. Peace of mind is important when you’re recovering—as is catching any complication early for proper treatment.
What Love Handle Liposuction Can (and Cannot) Do
- The ideal candidate for love handle liposuction is a healthy man or woman in Bergen County with good skin elasticity and distinct pockets of excess fat, in areas like the love handles. This patient can expect a quick recovery with an improved, slimmer and fitter appearance.
- Liposuction won’t give you a “perfect” figure.
- Liposuction alone can’t improve excess skin. If you have excess skin, from previous weight loss for example, you may need a tummy tuck (abdominoplasty) instead.
- Liposuction of the love handles will not make others treat you differently.
- Liposuction will not prevent you from gaining weight again. Liposuction does permanently remove love handle fat cells. Future weight gain can cause existing fat cells in other parts of the body to enlarge, however.
- Liposuction may be inadvisable in persons with medical conditions like heart disease, circulation problems or someone who has undergone abdominal surgery near the love handles recently.
Recovery from Liposuction for Love Handles
Liposuction patients generally experience swelling, bruising and some loss of sensation in the area. These after-effects gradually subside over the next few weeks following surgery. Bruising will gradually dissipate over the next 3 weeks or so. Swelling will decrease over a period of 3 months or so.
Patients are typically sore for 1-2 weeks, with minor soreness continuing for up to a month. You may require pain medication for the first week. Northern NJ patients are often ready to return to an office job in about a week.
Strenuous exercise is restricted during the recovery period, but gentle movement is beneficial for circulation shortly after love handle surgery, once your surgeon gives permission. Recovery times are variable depending on the amount of fat removed and other details.
Is Liposuction the Answer for You?
There are many people in Northern New Jersey that feel self-conscious about love handles. When they visit the shore, the beach or attend a special occasion, they may be uncomfortable.
Liposuction surgery is not right for everyone, but it’s easy to find out if it will work for you. We recommending getting some professional advice from your local plastic surgeon.
Liposuction in Bergen County, NJ
At Cohen/Winters, we take pride in our surgical skill and knowledge of medical science, but we’ve also developed our aesthetic sense. We enjoy helping people become more comfortable in their own skin and helping them enjoy their lives more.
Sometimes that doesn’t include plastic surgery—but if love handles are bothering you, take the opportunity to find out how liposuction for love handles might work out for you. Schedule a free liposuction consultation at our Bergen County office to learn if you’re a good candidate for love handle liposuction.